Nobody likes a bully. Bullies are notorious for causing trouble and often inflict physical and mental pain. One such bully thriving in New Braunfels is the local fire ant. These pests agitate and uproot other ants in the area, eat food that local wildlife depends on, and create dangerous conditions around your property. When fire ants move in and threaten the safety of others, reliable pest control in New Braunfels becomes vital.
Are These Fire Ants?
When there are over 700 different types of ants scurrying about in the United States, you're bound to question which ones are causing you trouble. Fire ants are troublesome; therefore, property owners should become aware of their distinguishing characteristics.
Four characteristics of fire ants include:
- Their bodies have a dark reddish/brown color (some fire ants can be black).
- They grow between 1/8 to 3/8 inches long.
- Their bodies are oval and segmented.
- Fire ant mounds in yards are flattened, irregular, and 18 inches across.
When property owners start seeing fire ant mounds all over their yards, it's time to consider getting help from Pinnacle Pest Defense; we have fire ant solutions that help remove threats to your health and safety.
What To Do If A Fire Ant Bites You
Fire ants bite and sting, but it's the sting that hurts and causes small blisters. While fire ants may not directly seek you out, they will defend their nest when it's disturbed.
Property owners can treat fire ant bites in the following ways:
- Wash the bite area with soap and water
- Put ice on the bite area (off and on every 15 minutes)
- Elevate affected body parts to help reduce swelling
- Use hydrocortisone cream or antihistamine to control itching
Most reactions to bites, while painful, are relatively mild; however, some people can have severe reactions to fire ant venom.
Six signs of a severe reaction to fire ant venom include the following symptoms:
- Swelling throat and tongue
- Tightness in your chest
- Shortness of breath
Because fire ants can be extremely dangerous, eliminating them as soon as possible is vital. Using a pest company like Pinnacle Pest Defense ensures you receive top-notch care from experienced professionals.
Five Fire Ant Prevention Tips
New Braunfels fire ants typically prefer to live in the great outdoors around foundations and amongst the landscaping. They usually stay outside unless their food and moisture sources start to dry up. When they lack their sustaining resources, fire ants will use any number of avenues to access buildings; therefore, property owners are wise to check their facilities for weak spots.
Five prevention tips that may help deter fire ant invasions include:
- Seal cracks/crevices inside and outside your building.
- Install weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Quickly clean areas where food is prepared and consumed.
- Remove garbage frequently and store it outside in garbage cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Keep landscaping free of debris that allows nesting.
Even the most conscientious property owner cannot always stop fire ants from invading. In the end, you may need professional help from pest professionals like Pinnacle Pest Defense. Let us partner with you to protect your property from hazardous conditions.
How To Get Rid Of Fire Ants For Good
You never know when fire ants are going to show up. The only way to ensure your property gets the best home pest protection services available in New Braunfels is with the help of Pinnacle Pest Defense. Established in 2013, our company has over 60 years of combined pest knowledge. Call Pinnacle Pest Defense today for fire ant treatments that work.