Fleas are a difficult pest to have to deal with. They’re agile and able to get into almost anywhere in your home, allowing them to quickly spread to vulnerable areas and into your skin. They can also cause some serious problems, especially for pet owners.
With worldwide travelers such as the flea visiting homes, pest control in New Braunfels may be a service residents find necessary. In this blog, we’ll examine the secrets you need to know to minimize your exposure to fleas in New Braunfels.
How To Identify A Flea Infestation In Your Home
With all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, the last thing homeowners are on the lookout for is fleas. These tiny menaces can show up at any time and begin irritating households unnoticed.
Six signs that you may have a flea infestation include:
- Tiny black specks (flea feces) in pet beds, on carpets, and other areas your pet visits.
- An overabundance of scratching (pets and people)
- Loss of hair
- Red, itchy bumps that have a "halo" in the center around ankles, lower legs, and feet
- Increase in allergy symptoms, especially dermatitis in both pets and people
- Anemic pets
Not only can the scratching from flea bites drive both pets and people crazy, but they also carry dangerous pathogens. Due to the issues fleas introduce to households, pest specialists like Pinnacle Pest Defense are good to have on speed dial.
The Dangerous Diseases Fleas Are Known To Spread
For such a tiny pest, fleas bring many health issues to homeowners. When they feed on pets and people, they can transmit serious diseases through their saliva; diseases also spread when feces enter open wounds.
Diseases fleas are known to spread include the following:
- Bubonic plague
- Murine typhus
As if it wasn't bad enough that fleas can cause you to be uncomfortable in your own home, they also can make you extremely sick. With all the problems fleas bring to your home, it is essential to employ pest control professionals like Pinnacle Pest Defense to help you eliminate them.
Five Eco-Friendly Flea Prevention Tips For Around Your Home
Flea infestations are inconvenient and typically take a pest professional like Pinnacle Pest Defense to ensure that they get removed; therefore, prevention should be utmost on homeowners' minds.
Five ways to deter fleas include the following suggestions:
- Use vet-recommended flea treatment on pets. (They are the number one vehicle of transportation that brings fleas into your home.)
- Wash items that pets frequently use (beds, harnesses, jackets, blankets).
- Clean bedding, rugs, and furniture often.
- Trim yard grass on a low setting and keep plants and overgrowth cut back.
- Remove bird feeders, leaf litter, weeds, and woodpiles from around the yard (attracts things that carry fleas).
You may faithfully practice prevention techniques designed to keep fleas away from your home and still experience the woes of a flea infestation. Fleas have many avenues to ride into your home unawares. Once they get into your home, flea removal can prove challenging.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of A Flea Infestation In Your Home
If you start noticing signs of a flea infestation, the best way to get rid of fleas is with help from Pinnacle Pest Defense. Our team has decades of combined experience fighting fleas and other problem pests. Our family-operated and veteran-owned company is local and offers free estimates and inspections. We also give our customers a pest warranty with all our services. Call us today, and see how Pinnacle Pest Defense can help solve your flea infestations quickly and efficiently.